Thursday, July 9, 2009

Home Again: Part Two


It should come as no surprise to anyone that robots played a large role in my childhood. Many of them have mysteriously vanished over time, but I've gathered a few together to show you today.



Before there was Wall-E there was the Dingbot from TOMY. I don't really know where it came from, it's been around as long as I can remember. He has a little motor that lets him drive around and sometimes turn in circles.



This one is the only transformer I was able to find. I think my others are all gone. Too bad really.
At least I still have this weird one that my dad brought back from Japan once. I think it's supposed to transform into a gargoyle or something. Kinda strange, I don't recognize it from anything but I honestly didn't watch the show very much.

If you push the button on his neck in gargoyle mode it causes sparks to shoot out of his mouth. A rather unique feature as far as I know.

Luckily there is a search engine for finding transformers based on color and alternate form. Apparently this is Grotusque, a hideous monsterbot that's always joking about how ugly he is. How about that.



What we have here is a Zoids pterodactyl robot thing. Another souvenir from Japan. I think the TV show eventually migrated stateside but I have no idea what it was about other than giant robot dinosaurs with people riding in them.




Last but not least are a couple of super deformed robot figures. Again, from Japan. The first one looks like it might a gundam of some sort, but the other one could be anything. Maybe it's from some obscure anime or comic, maybe it has no connection to anything. It will forever remain a mystery.

As a special bonus, I finally got to see one of these R2-D2 mailboxes while I was in Chicago last weekend. Pretty cool.

Links and stuff

TOMY robots
Transformer search engine
Grotusque
Zoids Redler

No comments: